In a fast-paced and hectic world, a little relaxation is welcomed with open arms. Luckily, staying topped up with the right nutrients can help your body and mind chill out and better cope with the stress and anxiety that sometimes comes with everyday life. Let’s find out how to eat our way to relaxation and chilled vibes:
It would only be right to have the ‘original chill pill’ take centre stage here. Magnesium is involved in countless reactions throughout your body and is essential for good overall health. It contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue, a normal energy-yielding metabolism as well as normal psychological function.
Getting enough magnesium may help us better cope with anxiety and stress as many reactions in the nervous system are dependent on the mineral. Magnesium may also play a role in supporting areas of the brain that regulate your response to stress. In addition, given we tend to hold a lot of physical tension in our bodies, by relaxing our muscles, magnesium can promote an overall sense of calm.
So, you might be wondering how to increase your magnesium intake. Whilst there may be supplements out there, some great natural sources of magnesium include almonds, cashews, spinach, whole wheat, quinoa and a Funktional Foods favourite, cacao powder. Just one serving of cacao provides up to 105mg of magnesium (almost 30% of your RDI). Check out this delicious Cacao Nicecream for a magnesium-rich dessert, or for an epic start to your day, try this crunchy Chocolate Hazelnut Granola.
Similarly to magnesium, B vitamins are essential for good overall health, supporting your immune system, energy production, psychological function and protecting your cells from oxidative stress. Unfortunately, many people don’t get enough B vitamins, particularly those on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
If you’re struggling to relax and unwind, B vitamins could be just what you need. They help to control stress levels in the body and a deficiency may lead to anxiety and a bad mood. B vitamins also provide your body with energy and contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue – helping you feel well-rested and full of energy.
Maca powder has a powerful trio of mood-boosting B vitamins including B2, B3 and B6. Vitamin B2 is also abundantly found in Spirulina, along with Vitamin B1. These Spirulina Cacao Energy Balls contain a healthy serving of both Spirulina and Maca to support your mood.
Whilst these two nutrients can definitely help you chill out, they’re certainly not magic solutions or the only solutions for that matter! Here are a couple more tips that may help:
- Pump up those endorphins – exercising however you do best, whether that’s hitting the gym, cycling, dancing, or playing a sport, can improve your mood and might decrease symptoms of anxiety.
- Breath! – you may think that breathing is entirely subconscious, and yes, it’s not something we have to think about 24/7 (thankfully), but very often incorrect breathing could be draining your energy. Breathing exercises can take under 5 minutes and will help you relax.
- Go for a walk without distractions – simply become aware of the noises and scenes around you. This will allow your body to unwind.
- Stretching, foam rolling, or mobility exercises – this can help to relieve tight muscles caused by any recent workout. Also, stretch while you’re young and you’ll thank yourself later in life!
- Treat yourself to a deliciously warm drink like a Cacao Maca Latte or herbal tea which is non-alcoholic or high in caffeine.